If you’re interested in purchasing crypto currency as opposed to mining for it, you may find yourself asking ‘where can I buy ether’ and that is the key question we’ll cover in this article.
But first a quick recap…
What is Ether?
As a quick recap, Ether, ETH, is the currency that powers the Ethereum network. Ether is one of the most popular virtual currencies at the moment, generally considered to be second only to Bitcoin.
Many people think that Ethereum, and the Ethereum Virtual Machine will have a more important long-term future than other currencies like Bitcoin, as it can be used for other things like smart contracts.
Ether is the currency that is used to reward nodes on the Ethereum network that ultimately makes all these things possible.
When people talk about buying Ether, ETH or Ethereum they are all different names for the same thing.
So, where can you buy it?
Where Can I Buy Ether?
The safest way to buy Ethereum tokens is through a reputable crypto currency exchange. There are a handful of exchanges that are simple enough to use and will let you buy Ether in a short space of time.
With most exchanges you will need to open an account and verify your identity. You will then be able to deposit funds and make your first purchase of Ether.
- If this is your first time buying Ether you can open an account with someone like Coinbase as this is one of the best known exchanges and only has a limited number of currencies available. This makes it simpler to use.
- You will be asked to upload identity documents such as a driving license.
- There are different deposit limits and withdrawal limits depending on the payment method you use, i.e. credit card vs. PayPal.
- If you are new to Coinbase, you can sign up with this link to get $10 worth or free Bitcoin.
If you already hold other crypto currencies, you can use these to buy Ether, for example you could exchange Bitcoin to Ethereum.
The best crypto currency exchange will depend on your specific circumstances and what you are looking for. Some are more sophisticated that others, or only work in certain jurisdictions.
How else can you get you hands on Ether?
There are a couple of other ways that you could get Ether other than buying it.
- Accept it as payment – If you run a business, you could accept payment in Ether
- Mine for it – If you care technically minded you could mine for Ether.
Crypto Currency Course
If you’re new to this space it is worth educating yourself before you make any investment. There are several good crypto currency trading courses available that will give you a good grounding in the concepts and help you make informed decisions.
These types of courses will almost certainly be of use once you move past your initial question of “where can I buy Ether?”.